The Ideas Kitchen is where great ideas become great projects in your community. Our mission is to promote and encourage creative ideas that benefit the borough of Waltham Forest.
The Ideas Kitchen is…
- An opportunity for creative people and new ideas to get local support
- A platform for creativity and collaboration
- A bit like an offline ‘crowdfunding event’
- For the people of Waltham Forest: Chingford, Highams Park, Leyton, Leytonstone and Walthamstow
- A community initaitve for everyone to enjoy
Our ValuesWe value community, creativity, collaboration, change, democracy, trust and fun.
Eat, Pitch, Vote
The Ideas Kitchen is a new way to celebrate and support creative projects in the borough of Waltham Forest.
Anyone that lives, works or studies in the borough can submit an idea that benefits the communities of Chingford, Highams Park, Leyton, Leytonstone or Walthamstow. Ideas can be anything from storytelling in an elderly care home, to a dance flashmob in the park – as long as it benefits the local community then we want to hear from you!
Every idea submitted will be read by the Apex Arts board who will shortlist four local residents to pitch at The Ideas Kitchen dinner. Each person presenting at the dinner will have four minutes to share their idea and answer four questions from the audience. The audience will include friends, family and local people who will vote on the idea that they like the most. Everyone attending the dinner will be asked for a £5 suggested donation which will give them the opportunity to vote and a hot meal made locally.
The project with the most votes gets £500 funding, plus all the money donated on the door, which will be doubled by Apex Arts. So in total, you could walk away with up to £1,500 plus mentoring and support to make your idea happen.
Whether you have an idea or just want to support local people – the Ideas Kitchen is a great way to support creativity in your local area and get to know your neighbours!
What We Want to Achieve:
- Work with local people to support each other’s creativity
- Encourage people to test out ideas they haven’t tried before
- Help create jobs and opportunities for growth
- Allow people to establish new relationships and networks
- Promote social action and positive change
The Ideas Kitchen started as a community project at the Barbican Centre in 2016. It was initially developed alongside a Community Board made up of representatives from Bebop Baby, Gnome House, The Mill and X7eaven Performing Arts. In 2017, The Ideas Kitchen merged with Apex Arts, a local charity that seeks to promote great art and culture in the borough of Waltham Forest. You can read more about our journey here.